1947 citing in Archie Comic of "butthole." What did it mean?

Fri Apr 27 13:00:05 UTC 2012

On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 8:19 AM, Jonathan Lighter
<wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 11:13 PM, Ben Zimmer wrote:
> >
> > Further discussion by James McElvenny on Fully (sic), an Australian
> > linguablog:
> >
> > http://blogs.crikey.com.au/fullysic/2012/04/27/kind-of-butthole/
>
> Where's  vulgar "butthole" attested to in 1942?
>
> I don't doubt it. Just curious.

It's in Green's Dictionary of Slang, as McElvenny says. The cite is
from Zora Neale Hurston's _Dust Tracks on a Road_: "Dat white man come
messing with me and I'll cut him a brand new butt-hole."

--bgz

--
Ben Zimmer
http://benzimmer.com/