1947 citing in Archie Comic of "butthole." What did it mean?

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Apr 30 01:01:58 UTC 2012

John's analysis is as acute as always, but I don't think we can say with
any confidence that "butthole" was "vanishingly rare" in 1947,  given the
taboo or semi-taboo nature of the term, the antiquity of "butt," and the
discovery of a printed 1942 ex. that was already part of a larger idiom
("cut someone a new butt-hole").

Of course, the above explains nothing.  Anyone adult familiar with "butt"
(and there must have been millions) would have been likely to associate
even a novel-seeming "butthole" with the anus - regardless if Montana was
punning on the packing-industry term.

Which few people knew.  And if Montana knew it, he'd know it referred to a
cow's asshole, and - if he had any sense - he wouldn't have put it in his
strip. I suspect that the semantic link to "prime" is simply a coincidence.

Unless, in line with Doug, it was intended by a letterer as an April Fool's
prank - a prank that succeeded too well.

JL