Research idea - dictionaries

Wed Aug 1 14:29:50 UTC 2012

Some of Samuel Johnson's definitions in "A Dictionary of the English
Language" (1755) humorously illustrate the tension between describing
and prescribing. The definition of patron is fun.

Patron: One who countenances, supports or protects. Commonly a wretch
who supports with insolence, and is paid with flattery.

Oats: A grain, which in England is generally given to horses, but in
Scotland appears to support the people.

Distiller: One who makes and sells pernicious and inflammatory spirits.

Lexicographer: A writer of dictionaries; a harmless drudge that busies
himself in tracing the original, and detailing the signification of
words.

Politician: 1. One versed in the arts of government; one skilled in
politicks. 2. A man of artifice; one of deep contrivance.

These items are abbreviated and taken from a secondary source (on the web).

http://www.samueljohnson.com/definitions.html

Perhaps one could search GB and JSTOR for pieces of these definitions.
Matches might reveal critical essays on the topic of
prescribing/describing.

Garson