"dull as ditchwater" vs. "dull as dishwater"?

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Wed Aug 1 18:24:05 UTC 2012

Yes, thanks, upon looking at the actual quotation later I too
realized it was "detached from conventional reality".  However, if
Google Books provides it in one date range including the year 1747
but does not in another, even Google Books must be detached from
conventional (chronological) reality.

The OED does have a conventionally real quotation for "dull as
ditch-water" at 1844.  I missed it earlier because I did not probe
also *with* the hyphen.

Joel