Fwd: Research idea - dictionaries

Amy West medievalist at W-STS.COM
Thu Aug 2 11:44:43 UTC 2012

On 8/2/12 12:01 AM, Automatic digest processor wrote:
>> =20
>> >Do you know of any good critical studies of dictionaries? Dictionaries =
> as prescribing/ascribing vs. describing?=20
>> >=20
>> >I think I have a seed of a research idea, still trying to formulate...
I'd start with the bibliography for _The Lexicographer's Dilemma_ by
Jack Lynch, Walker & Co., 2009. It's a generalist book, but he discusses
the controversies and may have some more serious sources.

The Crystal and Baron books that I initially thought of deal
specifically with usage manuals.

---Amy West