A Clockwork Orange

Jeff Prucher jprucher at YAHOO.COM
Fri Aug 3 04:17:35 UTC 2012

Perhaps also apropos is this entry from Jonathon Green's blog about Burgess, slang, and A Clockwork Orange:

"The phrase queer as a clockwork orange, which means eccentric or
bizarre, and can be applied sexually or otherwise, was sourced by
Anthony Burgess to late World War II when, as a serving soldier, he
heard it in the mess. I am quite willing to believe him: the phrase is
cognate with similar slang similes such as queer as a coot, first
ascribed to his acquaintance Julian McLaren Ross, queer as a three
dollar bill, queer as duck soup, a coinage of the 1930s and oldest of
all queer as Dick’s hatband, which seems as impenetrable a construct as
Burgess’s borrowing and has been recorded in this sense since at least
1835 (meaning ‘below par, or ‘out of sorts’ it goes back a further
half-century). As I say, I wish to believe, but…the problem is that we
have no proof. Despite the resources of the Internet, and other than in
scholarly articles that quote Burgess himself, the first recorded
citation comes as late as 1977, in a glossary appended to a book
designed to help policemen battle with the contemporary world."

http://jonathongreen.co.uk/dollops-of-mud-and-demonic-poetry/
Jeff Prucher