"_Cut_ the fool" and "_cut_ the slave" (not really interesting)

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon Aug 6 16:26:40 UTC 2012

Can one really expect to follow the path of "cut" (incise) to "cut the fool"?

Although perhaps this might be it -- from "shape
by cutting" to "perform, act like" --

VI. To shape, fashion, form, or make by cutting.
  23.a. To make or form by cutting (e.g. a
statue, engraving, seal, jewel, etc.), to
sculpture or carve (a statue or image), to
engrave (a plate, seal, etc.), to fashion (a
stone or jewel), to shape (garments, utensils, etc.).
c1500   Ballad on Money in J. O. Halliwell Nugæ
Poeticæ (1844) 48   Craftysmen that be in every
cyte..Sum cutte, sum shave, sume knoke, sum grave, Only money to wynne.
1600   Shakespeare Merchant of Venice i. i.
84   Why should a man..Sit like his grandsire, cut in Alablaster?
1623   B. Jonson in Shakespeare Comedies,
Histories & Tragedies sig. A1v,   This Figure,
that thou here seest put, It was for gentle Shakespeare cut.

And we soon have:
25. To perform or execute (an action, gesture, or
display of a grotesque, striking, or notable
kind): chiefly in certain established phrases, as
to cut a caper at caper n.2 b, to cut a dash at
dash n.1 10, to cut a figure at figure n. 7, to
cut a joke at joke n. 1, to cut a voluntary at
voluntary n. 7. Also, to cut an antic , to cut a
curvet , to cut a flourish ; to cut faces , to
make grimaces, distort the features.
a1616   Shakespeare Twelfth Night (1623) i. iii.
116   And. Faith, I can cut a caper. To. And I can cut the mutton too't.

Caper, of course, is not the veggie (n.1), which
is not cylindrical, but the frolicsome leap (n.2).

Joel