Reverse "support" again

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Aug 6 20:55:22 UTC 2012

I still don't see why this is a reversal. The usage is symmetric, but it is
exactly the same in both directions. On one hand, you have Developer of X
supporting X on platform Y. On the other hand you have Developer of
platform Y supporting Y to use with X. In each case, the developer supports
the program they are responsible for to interact correctly with some other
program. Where is the reversal?

It seems the "reversal" comes from the reinterpretation of platform Y
supports X into X is supported on Y, so "X supports Y" seems unusual. But
my contention is that "support" in this case is a shortening, not a
reversal. So this reinterpretation is logical, but incorrect.

VS-)