Quote: A professor's lecture notes go straight to the students' lecture notes, without passing through the brains of either

Tue Aug 7 21:31:07 UTC 2012

Dan: Fantastic! Thanks for locating that valuable passage. It is
possible that Harry Lloyd Miller condensed the passage you have posted
that was written by Edwin Emery Slosson into the saying attributed to
"Slosson" in 1927. Alternatively, Slosson may have analyzed the ritual
of the lecture on another occasion and composed a currently unknown
passage that is closer to the 1927 saying.

Offlist and independently Steven Goranson emailed me that Edwin Emery
Slosson was a plausible source for the quote, and he pointed to a
bibliography of the editor-scientist for further research.

Before posting to the list I saw Edwin Emery Slosson's entry in
Wikipedia. He was a prominent "Slosson" who wrote about University
life in the appropriate time-frame, but I did not find the passage
that Dan located.

Your help is greatly appreciated.
Garson