Fascism in America

Thu Aug 9 18:42:19 UTC 2012

Months ago I was asked about a quotation attributed to Huey Long:

If fascism comes to America it would be on a program of 100 percent Americanism

While exploring this saying I found a cluster of quotations attributed
to Long and others (including Sinclair Lewis) about fascism coming to
America.

Here are some of the examples of this comment type starting in the 1930s:

If fascism comes to America
… it would come disguised as an anti-fascist movement.
… it would come masked as anti-Fascism.
… it will be called "democracy."
… it will be wrapped in an American flag.
… it will be wrapped in an American flag and carrying a cross
… it will be called 100 percent Americanism.
… it will be called Americanism.

Sinclair Lewis wrote "It Can't Happen Here" about populism and fascism
in a satirical future America. So it is unsurprising that his name
would be attached to quotes of this type.

It was a large topic with many variants. I did not find substantive
evidence that Huey Long or Sinclair Lewis wrote or said one of these
quotes.

Garson