"finesse", the adjective

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Aug 10 14:37:30 UTC 2012

On Aug 10, 2012, at 9:56 AM, Joel S. Berson wrote:

> Miscellaneous thoughts:
>
> Ben should update his 2005 column to add soccer, where in contrast to
> football

or basketball

> or baseball "finesse" is I think always complimentary.
>
> One may not be able to say "The Japanese squad seems finesse", but
> then one is not able to say "The team seems finesse" either.  (I use
> the royal "one".)  So does the adj + noun in "Japanese squad" make
> any difference?

Apparently not.  I agree with your judgments, and indeed the fact that "NP seems finesse" sounds pretty bad regardless of whether the NP is "the team" or "the Japanese squad" was why I thought it wasn't an adjective in either case--certainly not in the former.

> "We are not a finesse team" *sounds* OK to me -- I add air quotes;
> but I'd prefer to *read* those quotation marks around "finesse".

For me there are no quotation marks there, in writing or the air.

> Similarly, if I had seen "a similar strategy by the 'finesse'
> Japanese squad", I would have been less disturbed, reading it as "the
> Japanese squad of finesse".

For me, "the finesse Japanese squad" would have the same meaning as above, a squad whose play is characterized by finesse rather than brute force or whatever.  Cf. "The finesse San Francisco 49ers were no match for the physical Giants".   (And yes, "physical" *is* an adjective.)

> I react to "The power American squad" in the same way as to
> "finesse", but with the added difficulty that I wonder whether the
> writer meant "powerful" instead.

But as noted, the meaning is entirely different--power teams or offenses may not be powerful, or vice versa, since "power" here, like "finesse", refers to a style of play, not the effectiveness of the playing.

LH