The African Dodger (UNCLASSIFIED)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Aug 11 17:57:02 UTC 2012

"African dodger" is not in OED.

Here's one found serendipitously - and used metaphorically.

1956 S. L. A. Marshall _Pork Chop Hill_ (N.Y.: Morrow) 147: The Chinese
grenadiers played African dodger, revealing head and shoulders just long
enough to heave their potato mashers.

 The earliest from NewspArch:

1889 _Boston Globe_ (Aug. 11) 19: But the African dodger still lives.

JL