Mutt

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Aug 12 12:53:49 UTC 2012

No new theory, still don't buy it.

If "mutt" was first applied to "muttonheads," there would be some
plausibility, but the record is unclear.

It is hard to believe that so many people would then begin to refer to
dogs, particularly mongrels, as "muttonheads."

I suspect that the word was applied first to worthless dogs, then to
worthless people.

Has anyone done a digital newspaper search?  maybe the solution can now be
found.

JL