"Mutt" in Indian religion or law; not in OED

Jeff Prucher jprucher at YAHOO.COM
Mon Aug 13 18:35:55 UTC 2012

Wikipedia to the rescue: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutt, which is a disambiguation page, and includes under "other uses": "Mutt, alternate spelling for Matha, a Hindu or Jain religious establishment", with a link to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matha

Also in OED sv. math n2:Â
"Forms:  18 mut, 18 muth, 18– math, 18– matha, 18– mutt.
Etymology:Â  < Sanskrit maá¹­ha (also with pronunciation maá¹­h) cottage, cell, monastery.

In South Asia: a monastery, esp. one for celibate Hindu mendicants."

(which I found by searching for "matha"; searching for "mutt" didn't return this one)

Jeff Prucher