"comb-overed" (a cad, of course)

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Thu Aug 16 02:50:20 UTC 2012

It appears I have the intuitive reaction that "comb-over" comes from
a verb form ("to comb over"), whereas "fair-hair" can't.   And
"window" is unlikely as a verb, although it is in the OED (Obs.
rare). So I hiccup at "comb-overed" but have no problem with "fair-haired".

And I have little problem with "windowed", which works whether
"window" is considered a noun or a verb.  I think Arnold's analysis
only applies to compounds, and my hiccup only to compounds where the
first element might be a verb as readily as a noun.

Thanks Arnold and Larry.

Joel