Revenge of the quote (UNCLASSIFIED)

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Thu Aug 16 03:07:07 UTC 2012

At 8/15/2012 11:08 AM, Mullins, Bill AMRDEC wrote:
>Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
>Caveats: NONE
>
>Zakaria did do some bad things with respect to his blog post that copied
>stuff from Time Magazine, and has owned up to that -- no question.

And, apparently, bad things in copying stuff from Jill Lepore into
his book.  Or is there a refutation of that charge?

>But the issue with the Andy Grove quote is bogus.  Fahri made
>accusations against Zakaria without checking his facts -- Zakaria did
>credit Prestowitz in the original hardcover and paperback (as Amazon's
>search inside the book shows) with chapter endnotes at the end of the
>book.

I took Fahri's assertions about the first editions at face value, on
the presumption that they would be so checkable he wouldn't make a
mistake or mistatement.  My bad -- perhaps I should have been more
suspicious of someone (Fahri) who conflates plagiarism with absence
of citation (as I criticized Fahri for in my previous message).

>Copies of the relevant citations are shown here:
>http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/08/14/plagiarism.html
>
>Zakaria's publisher calls Fahri's assertions "fundamentally untrue":
>http://www.poynter.org/latest-news/mediawire/185113/frum-washington-post
>-slimed-zakaria/
>

>Looks to me like Zahri and the Washington Post screwed the pooch on this
>one.
>
>And I'd respectfully disagree with Joel's statement:
> > Something put in quotes should always be cited to its
> > source.
>
>Obviously, there are many nonfiction books in political science and
>recent history to which this generalization doesn't apply.  Bob
>Woodward's "The Brethren", and Gene Kranz's "Failure is not an Option"
>are two that I've read that I was able to confirm do not have end- or
>footnotes.  The current NYTimes best seller "The Amateur" by Edward
>Klein (about Barack Obama in the White House) doesn't seem to have end-
>or footnotes (although it does have a bibliography and list of
>interviews).  Neither does Nobel Prize winner Paul Krugman's "The Return
>of Depression Economics".
>
>If the author decides to write a book without specific notes and
>citations, that doesn't make the author wrong (but it certainly may
>affect the perception of the book).

My difference with Bill is, I think, that I consider the absence of
citation of quotations somewhere between D and F on the scale of
scholarliness and ethicalness.  [I assume Bill can demonstrate that
Woodward, Kranz, and Klein actually do put some statements in
quotes.  Or do I need to check the primary sources for that?  :-) ]

And Garson wrote, presumably for my benefit:
>Thanks for the update, Bill. The Washington Post has now climbdowned
>the article.

Thanks for combing over (comb-overing?) this, Garson.

Joel