Revenge of the quote (UNCLASSIFIED)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Aug 16 17:25:49 UTC 2012

I concur.

Only two sentences in the quoted passage were copied. One consisted of nine
words (four of them the names of states conjoined by "and") and the other
was mostly an 1893 quotation, which Zacaria carefully identified. Both
sentences were merely factual.

While Zacaria obviously copied the two sentences from Lepore, they could
have been written by anyone with access to the same information

No one has claimed that he intended to pass off another author's unique
insights or putative "trademark style" as his own, which is what I
believe most people would regard as  "plagiarism." When the passages are
set side by side, Zacaria's debt is obvious and embarassing, but I can't
see it as any more than that.

Zacaria's carelessness was brought to public attention by the
not-uninterested National Rifle Association. Its concerns with gun control
are not at all matters of style.

JL