"like thunder upon beer"

Mon Aug 20 17:12:29 UTC 2012

The 1775 work "The Rivals: A Comedy" by Richard Brinsley Sheridan
included a metaphor based on the ill-effects of thunder upon milk.

http://books.google.com/books?id=93JbAAAAQAAJ&q=soured#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt]
The thunder of your words has soured the milk of human kindness in my breast!
[End excerpt]

Apparently, the famous natural philosopher and chemist Robert Boyle
explored the ill effects of thunder upon beer and ale in 1669.

Cite: 1725, The Philosophical Works of the Honourable Robert Boyle:
Abridged, Edited by Peter Shaw, Volume 2, Page 635, Printed for W and
J Innys, London. (Google Books full view)

Physico-mechanical Experiments
[Entries dated 1669]

http://books.google.com/books?id=Y-YJAAAAMAAJ&q=%22great+thunder%22#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt]
...the most part of August proving extraordinarily hot; towards the
latter end, there was at several times, great thunder, which turn'd
the beer in our cellar. and in most of those of the neighbourhood,
sour. Sept. 1. The beer was open'd but did not seem to be sour...
...To try, whether the thunder would have such an effect upon ale,
exactly stopt in glass vessels, as it often has on it in ordinary
casks, I caus'd some ale, moderately strong, to be put into a
conveniently shaped receiver...
[End excerpt]

Garson