Microbes Maketh Man, and vice versa

David A. Daniel dad at POKERWIZ.COM
Mon Aug 20 18:07:38 UTC 2012

Except that the article is about how we are made up of trillions of bacteria
and that humans are not really one being but sort of a package of trillions
of little tiny beings all working together in a big happy community. Also,
the Wykeham fellow - he of the original Manners Maketh Man - seems to have
been pretty taken by the idea that politeness is what keeps society
together, so the original at least is seemingly meant to be read forward and
not backward, though some writers say it applies both ways.
DAD

Poster:       "Joel S. Berson" <Berson at ATT.NET>
Subject:      Re: Microbes Maketh Man, and vice versa
---

One commentator suggested that the headline should be understood as
object - verb - subject, so that the verb is really a correct
singular: "Man Maketh Microbes".  An absurd notion about English word
order, I think.  But to see that both are true -- microbes make man
and man makes microbes -- one might read Theodor Rosebury's "Life on
Man".  (Microscopic) things one doesn't really want to be introduced to.

Joel

http://www.samefacts.com/2012/08/language-and-usage/language-police-blotter/