transitive "be done" (again?)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Aug 21 01:31:34 UTC 2012

Thanks to you both, Arnold and Ben.  Some false steps in the comments, not surprisingly.  For example, contra the Language Hat commenter, "be done NP" doesn't have to anything do with the "be" perfect auxiliary in "The Lord is come", since that kind of alternation--very common in Romance, and to some extent in Germanic including earlier English (through Jane Austen)--is only relevant for *in*transitives.  It does seem as though the Canadian element keeps popping up.

LH

On Aug 20, 2012, at 8:35 PM, Ben Zimmer wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 7:43 PM, Arnold Zwicky wrote:
>>
>> On Aug 20, 2012, at 11:00 AM, Larry Horn wrote:
>>
>>> To respond to a student's query, I'm trying to recall a thread from a
>>> discussion I seem to vaguely remember our having a while back.  It concerned
>>> transitive "be done", if that's the right label.  An example is "I'm done my
>>> homework", with the meaning essentially that of mainstream "I'm done with my
>>> homework".  The questions are:
>>>
>>> 1) what is the geographical range of this construction?
>>> 2) what are the grammatical/semantic constraints on when it occurs?
>>> 3) what papers have described it (maybe something in _American Speech_?)