Trekker POTUS?

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Fri Aug 24 22:27:38 UTC 2012

I've heard both "trekkers" and "trekkies" in the US. (Not sure about Canada.
I don't think it's come up in conversation since I've moved here.)

I've also heard both terms used disparagingly. A self-identified "trekker"
will say that "trekkies" are the insane fans, and vice versa. There doesn't
seem to be any agreement on which term is the positive and which is the
negative.

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of
Victor Steinbok
Sent: Friday, August 24, 2012 5:47 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: Trekker POTUS?

The only "serious fans of the show" whom I know to have identified
themselves as "trekkers" are Australians. AFAIK US and Canada has
"trekkies", as previously remarked upon. Of course, someone who's been a
closeted, isolated fan might not know that. But that would have made him an
OJ trial juror, not POTUS.

     VS-)