Breaking doubled consonants into syllables

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sun Aug 26 18:20:33 UTC 2012

Is there a general rule about breaking English words with doubled
consonants into syllables, either in speaking or in writing?  For
example, "canning" would be spelled and pronounced "can-ning", with
an N sound beginning the second syllable.

My speech says such a rule is not applicable to speaking.  For
example, I don't say "stop-ping" but rather -- I think --
"sto-pping".  (For my "canning" I can't tell.)

But I assume it applies to writing.  Are their counter-examples?

Joel