Breaking doubled consonants into syllables

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Aug 26 20:57:17 UTC 2012

On Aug 26, 2012, at 4:35 PM, Wilson Gray wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 26, 2012 at 2:40 PM, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at yale.edu> wrote:
>> the lack of evidence for geminates in English
>
> Away from affixation, right? Or do you say
>
> _[@]necessary_
>
> and not
>
> _[^n]necessary_
>
> ?
>
> Or do you punt and say "not necessary"? :-)
>
> --

No, those Level 2 affixes do retain their consonants for me, as opposed to the Level 1 ones, if they're still called that (e.g. in un#natural or non#native, but not in im+modest or in+nocent or ir+relevant).  But in those cases each morpheme contributes its own consonant, unlike the "canning" cases.

LH