Breaking doubled consonants into syllables

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sun Aug 26 21:29:44 UTC 2012

OK, Wilson, Ben, and Larry have given me the "other"
cases.  Summarizing for myself:

(1)  Some situations are doubling to affect pronunciation (to
distinguish two words; e.g. hopping vs. hoping).  For such words, in
speech the consonant is (usually? or always?) not spoken in each syllable.

(2)  Other situations are doubling because of an affix (e.g.
unnatural, immodest) or because two separate words are combined (e.g.
bookcase).  For such words, in speech the consonant is (usually)
spoken in each syllable.

Correct? Or as close as any rule can get for English?

Larry, somehow for me "innocent" doesn't fit in your list of
"un#natural or non#native, but not in im+modest or in+nocent or
ir+relevant".  In each of the others I (think I) pronounce the
consonant also at the beginning of the second syllable, but for
"innocent" I (definitely?) do not.

Joel