From PARADE archives

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Aug 27 01:43:40 UTC 2012

On Sun, Aug 26, 2012 at 12:24 AM, Victor Steinbok <aardvark66 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Flower bank?

Seems okay to me. If, e.g. the plane of your frontyard is above that
of the public way, the part of your lawn that slopes down to the level
of the public way is a "bank." In the case of the Romney estate, I
imagine that it was built into the side of a hill, so that it also had
a "split-level" backyard with a similar bank planted with vines and
flowers. My maternal grandpatents' house was so situated. But, in the
backyard, my grandad had cut away and leveled the bank, so that there
was a flat area that, alongside the house, was used for a truck garden
and, immediately behind the house, was used as a chickenyard. He built
a plank "dam" or wall to hold back the remainder of the bank, which
formed the "bottom" of the backyard of our neighbors.

--
-Wilson
-----