Friends don't let friends

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Tue Aug 28 21:43:20 UTC 2012

This one has been making the rounds of the internets over the last month:

http://weknowmemes.com/2012/07/friends-dont-let-friends-skip-leg-day/

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of
Benjamin Barrett
Sent: Tuesday, August 28, 2012 5:26 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Friends don't let friends

The earliest I see on Google Books of "Friends don't let friends drive
drunk" is 1976: "ALCHOL/SAFETY PUBLIC INFORMATION CAMPAIGNS: SEMINAR NO.8."
(http://ow.ly/diElG)

This snowclone is fairly widespread now.

One of the more common ones I've seen is: Friends don't let friends go to
Starbucks

Today, I saw "Friends don't let friends drink burnt coffee" on the signboard
outside a coffee shop, though the "burnt" form made me wonder where the
writer is from.

Benjamin Barrett
Seattle, WA