A new dictionary-related inquiry

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Fri Aug 31 12:55:32 UTC 2012

A lingering prescriptivist?  "It is of the utmost
consequence that strict accuracy should regulate
our use of language, and that every one should
acquire the power and the habit of expressing his
thoughts with perspicuity and correctness."

Thesaurus of English Words and Phrases Classified
and Arranged so as to Facilitate the Expression
of Ideas and Assist in Literary Composition.  By
Peter Mark Roget.  Enlarged and Improved ... by
John Lewis Roget.  New Edition Revised by Samuel
Romilly Roget.  David McKay, 1921.  Page xvi.

This appears to linger into 1972 and 2011
editions, but GBooks gives those only as No preview.

Joel