OED: "monkey's wedding"

Mon Dec 3 03:11:13 UTC 2012

The OED uses "sun shower" in a 1996 quote supporting the entry for the
noun "sign".
sign, n.
I. 10. a. A miraculous act or event; ...
1996   R. Doyle Woman who walked into Doors iv. 17,   I thought it was
some sort of a miracle or sign; it started to worry me. Then Mammy
told me that it was only a sun shower.

Merriam-Webster Unabridged Dictionary online has "sun-shower" but I
did not see a date in the information shown to non-subscribers.

Here is a match in Google Books for sun-shower.

Reasoner: or Controversial magazine - Page 11
books.google.com/books?id=RmMgAQAAMAAJ
Socratic institution, London - 1814 - Read
... are proverbial ; this tenant of a smile, this child of a fickle
sun-shower, finds existence only in the hope that promises a future
joy. Led thus blindfold into the snares of expectation, if it prqve
ideal, he is made, perhaps, miserable for life.