Etymological humor: Slang Origins by Woody Allen

Wed Dec 5 05:12:18 UTC 2012

The collection Without Feathers by Woody Allen has a chapter titled
Slang Origins which attempts to find humor in etymology with uneven
success. I listened to Allen reading the chapter himself while I was
driving yesterday (via an Audible audiobook on an iPhone
bluetooth-connected to my car audio system).

Without Feathers was published in 1975 so to some list members this
report is 37 years out of date. I highly recommend Allen's reading of
his short work "The Whore of Mensa" which is included in Without
Feathers.

http://www.newyorker.com/archive/1974/12/16/1974_12_16_037_TNY_CARDS_000311812