Possible Antedating of "Bebop"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Dec 10 05:56:39 UTC 2012

On Sun, Dec 9, 2012 at 11:44 PM, paul johnson <paulzjoh at mtnhome.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       paul johnson <paulzjoh at MTNHOME.COM>
> Subject:      Re: Possible Antedating of "Bebop"
>
> But before there was Be Bop there was Bop and that came after hep
> morphed into hip, but when did the Re-bop come in, my first memory was
> the Brando film  "the Wild One"  But being a 77 year old white guy, what
> do I know, certainly a lot less than I used too.

Back in '45, Lionel Hampton did "Hey Ba-Ba-Re-Bop" and Helen Humes did
"Be-Baba-Leba" in which, to my ear, the final syllable sounds like
"bop." But the preceding "re" and "le" can't be confused with "be."

The date is too late, in any case.

"All night long blowing _be-bop_ sounds
And that jive ain't moved a soul
Then somebody put on the low-down blues
And the joint jumped ready to roll
You talk about a party!

- Kent Harris dba Boogaloo and his Gallant Crew
1955 "Talk About a Party"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kent_Harris

Be-bop wasn't party-music and neither was any other genre of
progressive/modern/cool jazz.

AFAIK, this nom-de-boogie-joogie has no connection with the dance
called the "boogaloo," popular a dozen years later or with the cites
in HDAS..

--
-Wilson
-----