Another historical quip

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Dec 10 13:35:09 UTC 2012

I've long thought the final sentence to be one of the great American
utterances. The speaker was "an old man named Wells," met near
Milledgeville, Ga.

1865 Rev. Thomas M. Stevenson _History of the 78th Regiment O. V. V. I._
(Zanesville, O.: Dunne) 316: They might as well try to stop the Ogeeche
[sic] as you Yankees. The blasted rascals who burnt this 'ere bridge
thought they did a big thing; a natural born fool cut in two had more sense
in either end than any of them.

JL