Unusual application of "kike"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Dec 11 03:21:22 UTC 2012

On Dec 10, 2012, at 8:59 PM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:

> As a name for a young woman's sailboat, I suggest that "Kite" was intended.
>
> I am unaware of any exx. other than those posted that strongly suggest a
> "kike" is anything other than a Jew. One or two of the earliest in HDAS
> may, in retrospect, conceivably be ambiguous.
>
> JL

Right, or fuzzy around the edges (maybe it's those beards).  While _kike_ traces back in the main HDAS entry to an ur-gloss as 'uncouth Jewish immigrant[s] from Russia or Eastern Europe', one cite (1914) explicitly includes as kikes "illiterate Russians or Russian Jews", and another (1904-5) mentions that "we have heard of 'kike' goyim too".  Several others do strongly associate kikehood with specifically Russian Jews, and/or poor (or maybe ethnically stereotypical?) Jews.  So religion/race is neither necessary nor sufficient for being a kike.  Of course the same could be, and has been, claimed for "nigger".  Doesn't make these epithets any less potent (or, as Jon says at the entry, "virulent") for all that.

I was also struck, and puzzled, by the connection between "kike" and "kiki" (see 1926 entry for "kike"), which I first heard described in detail by a student in my language, sex & gender class and then found in HDAS on the relevant meaning ('a homosexual woman who plays the active as well as the passive role in lesbian copulation").  No phonetic representations are given, but my student (and other informants) tell me it's always /kaikai/, as in hi-fi or mai tai; Jon's entries provide "kigh-kigh", "kai-kai", and "ky-ky" as renderings.  "Kiki" is also glossed as 'bisexual' and 'anally-minded' in other entries.  Versatile indeed!  What "kike" and "kiki" have to do with each other is very unclear, at least to me.

LH, proud descendant of "uncouth Jewish immigrant[s] from Russia or Eastern Europe"