Antedating of "Country and Western" (UNCLASSIFIED)

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Dec 11 03:27:26 UTC 2012

On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 7:15 PM, Jonathan Lighter
<wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com> wrote:
> "western" was "western swing" of the Bob Wills variety.

And actual "cowboy (folk)songs" of the kind occasionally covered by
Texas bluesmen, "The Old Chisholm Trail" being an easily-found example
of this rare and bizarre sub-genre of the blues. I con't know that any
of them ever merited Billboard's attention, but they were common on
Texas radio and in random oaters, back in the day..

The Mississippi Sheiks even recorded a cowboy song, set in San
Antonio, in which they, so to speak, "yodel," as it were, at the
dog-walkg-on-its-hind-legs level of skill.

I've heard it only once and I've been trying to find it for dekkids.
--
-Wilson
-----