Antedating of "Country and Western" (UNCLASSIFIED)

Eric Nielsen ericbarnak at GMAIL.COM
Tue Dec 11 20:36:56 UTC 2012

Sloppy of me. I thought this concordance gave examples of Dylan lyrics
found in Country Blues songs--which are clearly an important influence for
much of his work. I should have checked it out better.

I did find that Dylan quoted the Mississippi Sheiks' "You'll Work Down to
Me Someday" in his song "Narrow Way":

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/albumreviews/tempest-20120830

"....If I can't work up to you, you'll surely have to work down to me
someday."
 from the album, *Tempest*.

Years ago, I heard that Howling Wolf developed his moan and howl out of
attempts to copy Jimmie Rodgers' yodeling. If true, I'm glad he stopped at
that now classic sound he produced on *Moaning at Midnight *and *Smokestack
Lightning.*

Eric