Michigander etymology and Abraham Lincoln and blends

Wed Dec 12 16:50:39 UTC 2012

The OED has an entry for Michigander that includes the entertaining
Lincoln connection.

[Begin excerpt]
Michigander, n.

Forms:  18 Michi-gander, 18– Michigander.
Etymology:  Apparently originally a humorous blend of the name of
Michigan (see Michigan n.) and gander n.: see note below. In later
uses probably regarded as < the name of Michigan (see Michigan n.) +
-er suffix1. Compare earlier Michiganian n.

Apparently originally a nickname given to General Lewis Cass
(1782–1866), governor of Michigan Territory (1813–31), who was
regarded by his political opponents as resembling a goose; the term
was reputedly coined by Abraham Lincoln (compare quot. 1848). In spite
of its humorous origin it has now superseded Michiganian (Michiganian
n.) as the usual term for an inhabitant of Michigan.

  A native or inhabitant of the state of Michigan. Cf. Michiganian n.

1848   A. Lincoln Coll. Wks. (1953) I. 509,   I mean the military tail
you Democrats are now engaged in dove~tailing on to the great
Michigander [sc. General Cass].

[End excerpt]