Two Questions for Journalist

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Dec 14 18:28:44 UTC 2012

Gizmo.

Vague suggestions have been offered, though not accepted, for "malarkey"
and "poppycock." "Hooey" may be from a Slavic obscenity.  Maybe.

"Barf" remains obscure. The synonymous "ralph" appears to have begun as a
joke (at least that's how it was explained to me ca1971), but that ety. may
not be accepted because it's so ridiculously sophomoric: (< to "call
Ralph," with "Ralph" pronounced as much like a vomit sound as possible;
cf., similarly, "sell Buicks," with "Buick" suggested by "puke.")

I'm sure there are more that now escape me.

JL