Two Questions for Journalist

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sat Dec 15 18:30:25 UTC 2012

I am in complete and enthusiastic, if sometimes
depressed, agreement with George's thesis that
"Nothing replaces actually reading the
sources".  George has been reading colonial
American newspapers through the years.  I've read
all the issues published in Boston during two
particular 18th-century years, and many scattered
issues of other dates and places as I vet secondary sources.

1.  "The digitization after the fact of
newspapers particularly is very unreliable."

2.  "Searches are often greatly hampered and
sometimes [entirely] impractical if one is
looking for an uncommon sense of a common word."

One example I offer is an antedating from the
Boston Weekly News-Letter of 1740 Jan. 10:

"LONDON, October 8, 1739.  WE are assur’d that an
Embassador from a certain great Court has made an
Offer of 50,000 _Bears_ for the Service of his
Britannick Majesty.  'Tis to be hoped at the
Opening of the next Session of Parliament that
our worthy Representatives will petition against French Mediation."

50,000 plantigrade quadrupeds of the genus Ursus
("bear, n.1"), offered by the Russian Court for
the service of George II in anticipation of an
imminent "rupture", as they used to say, with
France?  The image is entrancing,  but ...

This surely is "bear, n.6", defined by the OED by
reference to its current earliest quotation of
1775 as "a kind of tent".  (I rejected not only
"bear, n.1" but also nominal bears 2, 3, 4, and
5.)   A computer search for bear 6 seems even more than entirely impractical.

Another example is reading a 1736 postdating of
"bob, n.2" ("A trick, deception, befoolment"),
which the OED has only up to 1682.  Not a
productive search for by computer, I warrant.

3.  "We can't search for what we don't know exists."

Found reading, "trench their duds".  I think not
in the OED, but known in France as "tranchée
leurs fringues" (a notable Google Translate success!):

"We hear, that one Day last Week a Number of N.
End Ladies took Slay and went to a Publick House
at Roxbury, where they stay'd till pretty late at
Night, having Eat and Drank freely, and been
extream merry; but when the Reckoning was brought
in (which was not very small) they looked with
sorrowful Countenances upon each other, and at
last told their Host, that they expected to have
been followed by some young Gentlemen, upon whose
Credit they relied for the Payment of their
Expences: But this no way satisfying the
Landlord, they were forced to _trench their
Duds_, as the Phrase is in other Countries, viz
to leave some of their most superfluous Cloaths
behnd them, as Pledges for the Debt."  Boston Evening-Post, 1737 Feb. 21.

Joel