[off-list] Re: [ADS-L] "fanny", n.4

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Dec 15 22:20:16 UTC 2012

"Perh. cf." is clearly *not* intended to imply that Cleland named his
heroine for her fanny.

The naming, however, just may have gone in the opposite direction, _Fanny
Hill_ being the most notorious ex. of English um-literature of the age.

If the name "Fanny" had been applied more or less arbitrarily as a childish
euphemism, its chance identity with the name of the fictional courtesan
would undoubtedly have helped its career.

JL