that costly "missing g" (addendum)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Dec 23 01:18:43 UTC 2012

On Dec 22, 2012, at 8:11 PM, Douglas G. Wilson wrote:

> On second thought, although the decision seems to have been entirely
> wrong, I think it may not be right to fault Sajak or whoever made the
> call here. I suppose the judge (whoever it is) has to rule within a few
> seconds, and even the most learned and careful might make a boo-boo. I
> don't know whether there is provision for appealing or reconsidering the
> ruling.
>
> -- Doug Wilson

The ABC news broadcast segment, which is where I learned about it before I then found the Gawker piece by googling, included a review of several cases in which quiz contestants from various TV shows were later allowed to claim their prizes or (more often) return to the show with their current winnings intact, but those all involved factual mistakes (or cases in which the contestants' answers were judged as correct as the official answer that knocked them out at the time) rather than "erroneous" pronunciations.  So yes, they could reconsider, and should.

LH