Antedating of "Pop Art"

Shapiro, Fred fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Mon Dec 24 12:50:14 UTC 2012

I found the following on a website (OED's first citation for "pop art" is dated 1957):

"The same issue of Ark magazine (November 1956) that included the article on Blake also included an article,"But Today We Collect Ads<http://www.warholstars.org/articles/But%20Today%20We%20Collect%20Ads.html>," by the architects Alison and Peter Smithson in which they used the term "pop art" as an abbreviation for "popular art." It was the first time that the term appeared in print although Lawrence Alloway is sometimes incorrectly credited with first using the term in his essay The Arts and the Mass Media."

Fred Shapiro