Front-Page New York Times Story on "The Whole Nine Yards"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Thu Dec 27 16:33:18 UTC 2012

Condemned to join Larry on the level of semi-devil's advocates --

It was just Barry's "average" concrete mixer that a capacity of four
and a half cubic yards "just a few years ago" before 1964.  But "six
yards" implies a large quantity.  What about the *largest* concrete
mixers of 1912?

And if one believes that there were no concrete mixers before the
patent of 1916, were there haulers of other mass contents having a
capacity of 6 cubic yards in 1912?  Trucks for construction or
destruction projects carrying sand or dirt?  Or garbage
trucks?    Fred's first find is:

"But there is one thing sure, we dems would never have known that
there was such crookedness in the Republican party if Ted and Taft had
not got crossed at each other.  Just wait boys until the fix gets to a
fever heat and they will tell the whole six yards."

Characterizing the "whole six yards" of what the complete story will
reveal as "a great quantity of filth (crookedness)"?

"The whole nine yards" surely is just even more garbage than the
whole six.  And I don't see the evidence that "six" is *necessarily*
"just a random number", as Jesse is quoted as saying.

Joel Berson, amateur word freak and ferociously competitive antedater.