"log" vs "log in"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Thu Feb 2 16:55:37 UTC 2012

In the NYTimes of Feb. 1 (New England edition, D1/1), I find the
following sentence:

"At the same time, stocks motored through the month with slow but
steady advances, logging in their biggest January since 1997."

I would have written simply "logging their biggest January ...".

The OED permits "log down" and "log up" (log, v.1, sense 5.a).  But
"log in"?  Is that a transference from what people do to access their
logs ... er, data?  (sense 5.d.)  Which has a tinge of reversal --
"log (down or up)" to write data; "log in" to read data.

Joel