'Texes' as plural of 'text (message)'

Damien Hall D.Hall at KENT.AC.UK
Fri Feb 3 10:40:43 UTC 2012

So it seems as if what I may have heard that was new was reduction of cluster plus plural [-Iz] spoken by a new constituency: someone young, British, white, and apparently Southern Standard-speaking.  He didn't have other noticeable traces of a south-western accent; granted, those are getting less and less common these days, especially among the young, but might have included r-fulness and pronunciation of the PRICE diphthong as CHOICE.

Unfortunately, I can't either go back and check my impression of his pronunciation, or submit it for other people's checking: the interview in which I heard this 'texes' was part of the BBC Breakfast news programme on the day I posted about it, and they don't put that online after the broadcast; not even for UK viewers ...

Thanks, Paul and all!

Damien

PS  'Hitler has only got one ball'.