Ragged but Right (pt. 1) -- (on "jazz")

Fri Feb 3 16:11:05 UTC 2012

Gerald Cohen wrote:

> P.S. Also, IIRC, I've seen an article with the phrase "are you jerry to
> the old jazz" (with "jazz" here attributed to San Francisco) but can't
> locate it at the moment.

I reported on the Duluth News-Tribune article back in 2007:
http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0706D&L=ADS-L&P=R1097

...noting that it had been inspired by a syndicated article on "city
slang" that Barry Popik found in the Fort Wayne Sentinel (6/4/13) and
that I found in the Idaho Daily Statesman (6/5/13):
http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0312D&L=ADS-L&P=R2111

--bgz

--
Ben Zimmer