Antedating of "Working Class"

Geoffrey Nunberg nunberg at ISCHOOL.BERKELEY.EDU
Sat Feb 4 05:23:56 UTC 2012

It's an interesting eg -- I ran into one like it the other day from a few decades later. But surely this doesn't anticipate "working class"  in the sense, e.g., that E. P. Thompson was talking about in The Origins of the English Working Class, which didn't emerge until much later. A "Class of people" isn't a social class in the important sense of the word -- the status arrangements of industrial society -- the concept simply wasn't there then.