positive "star-crossed"

Mon Feb 6 05:16:18 UTC 2012

Thanks for the valuable responses. Here are a few more examples that
might be relevant.

Below are two excerpts from advertising copy. The phrase "star-crossed
lovers" is used to mean that powerful figures of authority oppose the
coupling of the lovers. In this interpretation the relationship is not
foredoomed but it faces a major obstacle. This is consonant with part
of the Romeo and Juliet story since the families of the lovers did
oppose the coupling. The old notion of lovers inexorably pulled apart
by deterministic forces is replaced by the more comforting idea of
personal autonomous acts surmounting difficulties. Perhaps the stars
can be uncrossed.

http://www.chicagochocolatetours.com/chocolate-college/

[Begin excerpt]
The holiday began as an ancient Roman fertility festival, was
Christianized with a St. Valentine who according to legend married
star-crossed lovers in secret against the wishes of Roman emperor
Claudius II, became a day to celebrate romance during the rise of
courtly love during the 14th century, and has since spread throughout
the world, in various permutations. On Valentine's Day in Japan for
example, women give chocolate to men!
[End excerpt]

http://www.irishcelticjewels.com/celtic-wedding/2012/01/facts-about-ireland-and-saint-valentine/

[Begin excerpt]
In the medieval age, Feb. 14th officially became a day for romantic
couples… sending Valentines to sweethearts was soon customary;
according to legend, St. Valentine helped to united star-crossed
lovers by passing notes from one to the other, and thereby defying
Roman authorities.
In fact, even while being imprisoned for his good deeds, St. Valentine
reputedly continued to collect notes from his visitors, so he could
then pass them on to their pining partners…
[End excerpt]
["united" is the word in the original text]

The excerpt below discusses a hotel advertisement for "a Star-Crossed
Lovers package". Presumably the lovers are not required to shuffle off
this mortal coil at the end of their stay.

http://www.hotelchatter.com/story/2011/2/2/225544/3293/hotels/Star_Crossed_Lovers_Get_Tarot_Cards_and_Star_Maps_for_V_Day_at_the_Vero_Beach_Hotel
[Begin excerpt]
Star-Crossed Lovers Get Tarot Cards and Star Maps for V-Day at the
Vero Beach Hotel
Where: 3500 Ocean Drive, Vero Beach, FL, United States, 32963
February 3, 2011 at 8:31 AM by Jennifer Kester
…

With any luck, the stars will align for zodiac zealots at the Vero
Beach Hotel during Valentine's Day. The Florida hotel is offering a
Star-Crossed Lovers package where you'll get your fill of celestial
bodies, and we don't (just) mean your valentine.

As part of the package, cozy up with your paramour under a beach
blanket and share a dessert and sip some bubbly. Then, using a
provided sky map, you two can search out the constellations. Afterward
get all astrological back in your room with a free set of tarot cards
and try to find out the future of your relationship.
[End excerpt]