Serendipity One?

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Wed Feb 8 19:51:50 UTC 2012

At 2/8/2012 09:59 AM, Laurence Horn wrote:
>Maybe when she went into New York as a child, her parents took her
>to Serendipity 3, the famous ice cream and frozen hot chocolate
>emporium on the East Side (still going, I see:
>http://www.serendipity3.com/main.htm), and she remembers how messy
>those big ice cream desserts were, getting all over your nice
>clothes and requiring a major cleanup.

Wasn't there a Serendipity (One?) a bit further west, perhaps
actually on the West Side (i.e., west of Fifth Ave.) earlier?  (Than
the founding of Serendipity 3 in 1954 [Wikipedia].)  And on 57th
Street, a block or two east of Carnegie Hall, rather than on East
60th?  I faintly recall a fanciful ice cream dessert before that date
when I was taken by my aunt after a concert (Leonard Bernstein's
"Young People's"?) to a place whose name I recall as
"Serendipity".  IIRC, my aunt thought I was too young to know the
word, and she explained it to me.

Joel