origin of dese dem dose in NYCE

Sat Feb 11 00:18:41 UTC 2012

Cockney (and SE English generally )  also has /d/ for eth in initial position, and probably has  had for a long time.  In Kent, East Surrey, and East Sussex, it goes back to Middle English.  Lots of people from London and the Home Counties came to the Mid-Atlantic states in the late 1600's, and the place names of the area that are of English origin reflect that.  Now: the stopping doesn't happen to the voiceless fricative, nor does it happen in other positions (> modern /f v/ in these dialects).  The /d/ is also alveolar.  But there could be a contact effect with the Dutch, or later immigrants like the Irish (some of whom actually came to NYC in the 18th century too).

Paul Johnston