origin of dese dem dose in NYCE

Guy Letourneau guy1656 at OPUSNET.COM
Sat Feb 11 10:07:06 UTC 2012

I grew up on the Nawth Shaw (North Shore) of Massachusetts in the later
1960s. My family is French Canadian and my mother was born in Quebec
province. My father is second generation. English was my mother's second
language. She spoke with a strong accent her whole life.

Canadian French may have had an input here.

She and her siblings (my aunts and uncles) pronounced English 'th' as
'd' or 't' depending on whether the English 'th' was voiced or not.
So she said 'dem,' 'dare,' 'doze,' and 'dat' for 'them' 'there' 'those'
and 'that.'

There were odd exceptions when she would use a 'real' th for another
consonant, which proved that she could actually form the noise
correctly. (i.e, she had no physical impediments preventing her from
forming 'th' it would only come out at unusual instances.)

One example was that she would pronounce 'dirty' with (edth) for 'd' and
(thorn) for 't' but she pronounced 'thirty' as 'turdy' ( but not 'toidy.')

She very consistently reversed sounded and silent 'h' and would add
initial h to other words for h-emphasis. 'Wear ha-NAT' was an admonition
to wear a hat. Initial 't' + vowel could sometimes turn to unvoiced 'th'
+ vowel for emphasis: "Not da short one, I said get duh TH-all one" (for
'tall.')

The one time I remember her going ballistic at an officer during a
traffic stop (she has a lead-foot) who asked her if she had been
drinking. She was surprised at the question, but when the officer said
'because your speech sounds slurred' she really really fumed. YOU DARE!
("You there...")

- GLL