origin of dese dem dose in NYCE

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sun Feb 12 02:51:15 UTC 2012

On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 12:55 PM, Victor Steinbok <aardvark66 at gmail.com> wrote:
> _"Zis is somesing I got from ze supermarket."_ And this
> remains with most of them for decades if not permanently, no matter how
> fluent they are.

That's the way that Morris Halle, a Lettish-American who came to the
United States in 1940, at the age of seventeen, sounds when he gets
excited. E.g., "Underlyingly, bawss of zem are ze same!" as he
emphasized a point of an exposition during a introductory-phonology
lecture. Otherwise, he sounds, IMO, perfectly ordinary.

--
-Wilson
-----